Nachos

Nachos

Nachos as most of us know is a popular Tex-Mex (Texas – Mexican) food which can classified as a snack, appetizer or even a full dish and it is defined by the ingredients you put in.  The original and the most simplest one is just made out of just nacho chips, cheese sauce and chillies but there are a lot of variations that you can create just imagine how many combination you can make with popular toppings such as chilli con carne, guacamole, sour cream, shredded lettuce, grated cheese, melted cheese, tomatoes, jalapeno and the list can go on.

This 1943 this dish’s history started in a place in Mexico near the Eagle Pass Border in Texas where it was created when wives of U.S. Soldiers stationed at Fort Duncan visited a restaurant called Victory Club.  At the time of their visit the restaurant was already closed for the day but the restaurant manager Ignacio “Nacho” Anaya decided to serve the customers.  With few supplies in the kitchen, he made a creation made out of what was available for him and during that time which was tortillas, cheddar cheese and sliced jalapeno peppers.  He then cut the tortillas in small triangles, topped it with grated cheddar cheese then heated melting the cheese in process, he then finally topped it with sliced jalapeno peppers then called it “Nachos Especiales”.

After working at the Victory Club Anaya continued on to work at the Moderno Restaurant in Piedras Negras where he continued serving his original Nacho’s recipe.  Then after several years he opened his own restaurant called “Nacho’s Restaurant” in Piedras Negras and the rest was history. In 1975 Ignacio Anaya passed away and in his honour a bronze plaque was erected in Piedras Negras where this dish started to become popular.

Nachos

1. In a big plate, place Nacho chips.
  2. Now top it with chilli con carne.
  3. Add guacamole on top and finish it with grated cheddar cheese.
  4. You can add more stuff on it if you want such as jalapeno peppers, lettuce, sour cream, etc.

1. Ang Sarap. My teenagers would gobble this up in 5 nanoseconds flat! Take care, BAM

2. Hans Susser says:

” Nachos” or “Tortilla chips”, whatever american name you call them, have been around forever. However, the name “nachos” is purely american. In Mexico, we call them “Totopos” 🙂

3. Such a comfort food if you live in Texas. Looks delicious!

4. Tessa says:

I love the history lesson! Nachos are a regular dish in our home. Quick, easy and delish!

5. ceciliag says:

When my children and i were growing up in NZ we ate this once a week. All my children took turns making the meal once a week, and this was my eldest sons favourite. Just like this too.. great! c

6. Eri says:

Oh yum! give me a cold beer and I’m alright!

7. One of my guilty little treats!

8. Mmm I haven’t made nachos in quite some time; might be just what the doctor ordered! I love your succulent as well!

9. wok with ray says:

I’ve never tasted nachos until I moved here in the States and I always loved it ever since. It so addicting especially with all the toppings like yours. Nice post, Raymund!

10. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I didn’t know about the Nacho’s history! It was interesting. My kids love nachos. This gets way too addicting before meal time (I get so full. Out of control! Haha!).

The history on nachos is just fascinating. What a cool story! And I love these as a meal with chili con carne!

12. Jasline says:

What a cool story! I really gotta try your chili con carne soon, it looks so heavenly on the nachos!

13. kat says:

Nachos!!! I love this!

I’d love a big bowl of this right now! Looks so good! Now I need to go check out your chili con carne recipe!

I love, love, love nachos. I like to load mine up with chili, guac, tomato, lettuce, onion and cheese 🙂 On my way to check out the chili con carne recipe

Such a great classic dish that everyone loves !

17. Wow. So the original nachos never had any meat sauce. Interesting. Thanks 😀 !

I also heard from someone that burritos were not really an authentic Mexican dish but more of a Tex-Mex creation.

1. August 24, 2012

[…] is the youngest food blogger I ever met, I known him just recently though a comment posted ion my Nachos post, since then I followed his posts and so far I am impressed and I sort of saw myself when I was […]

2. June 12, 2014

[…] This was invented by restaurateur Caesar Cardini on July 4, 1924, the invention was similar to Nachos and Philly cheese steak where it was impromptu, customers are waiting, kitchen supplies are […]

3. May 13, 2016

[…] start with Entree 1, what they prepared was Nachos and it is paired with lots of Corona beer. It is made with nacho chips served with chilli, […]