Beef Carpaccio

Beef Carpaccio

Fourth day, lets go back to having something totally raw, the Italian Beef Carpaccio.  Carpaccio is a dish made out of raw meat or fish that is thinly sliced or pounded, seasoned with spices then served with parmesan shavings.

This popular appetizer was invented in 1950 at Harry’s Bar in Venice; where it was first served to the countess Amalia Nani Mocenigo.  It was created by Giuseppe Cipriani after a request by the countess that she could only eat raw meat as suggested by her vegetarian doctor.  The first recipe was consisted of raw beef dressed with French Dijon mustard, and named it Carpaccio; after the Venetian painter Vittore Carpaccio. Because the colours of the dish reminded him of the colours used in his paintings.

On a side note, imagine if there is a dish named Van Gogh how would it look like 🙂

Beef Carpaccio

Serves: 4
  • 100g beef tenderloin, sliced thinly and pounded (please see notes on the easy way to do this)
  • handful of mixed greens
  • Dijon mustard
  • Balsamic Vinaigrette
  • Shaved Parmesan
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  1. Mix together 2 parts mustard with 1 part viniagrette, set aside.
  2. Season beef with salt and freshly groubd black pepper
  3. Place on a chilled plate then drizzle some dressing on top.
  4. Place mixed greens and parmesan shavings on top then serve.
Notes
Tip on slicing beef carpaccio: Wrap the tenderloin in plastic wrap and place in the freezer until frozen (around 1.5 hours), remove from freezer then slicing it thinly would be easy.   Now place each thin slices in between plastic wraps and getrly pound until it becomes paper thin.

No Responses

1. I find it funny that a vegetarian is ok as long as the meat is raw hehe.

2. I’m often tempted by beef fillet carpaccio or fish carpaccio when I eat out. The flavour is great, and one of my “naughty” favourites!

3. Judy says:

A local tapas restaurant serve a buffalo carpaccio, which is fabulous. I’ve not tried serving anything like it at home, hubby prefers that we grill when we have steak.

4. Tessa says:

I’ve heard of beef carpaccio before but never had it or even knew how it was prepared. This looks wonderful and easy to make! Looks delicious!

5. wok with ray says:

To be honest, I’ve never had beef carpaccio before. Now I’m curious. Oohh, you made fun of Van Gogh. I’m sure you will get an “earful” from his fans. 🙂

6. Absolutely stunning, am so impressed with these raw dishes you are posting!

7. I believe Giuseppe Cipriani also created the bellini. That’s one great chef. Love this dish!

I love this! And great slicing tip. 🙂

9. its crazy- I’m a vegetarian but that looks crazy good!

10. Gourmantine says:

I have to be the biggest beef carpaccio fan – order it wherever I eat, this looks just lovely!

11. Sammie says:

Totally regretted not trying this in Italy!! I’ve only tried the Japanese version haha.. Delicious!

I was lucky enough to try the carpaccio at Harry’s I totally love it!

uhm.. no thanks.. raw meat has never been my thing really.. nyahaha

14. That looks awesome, and I’m seriously glad to hear the story behind the dish’s creation! Vegetarian doctor prescribing raw meat! I’ll have to check to see if I have a good cut of pastured beef or bison in the freezer… Thanks.