Lumpiang Hubad

Lumpiang Hubad

Lumpiang Hubad or “Naked Spring Rolls” is basically vegetable spring rolls without the wrappers. It is usually made out of but not limited to cabbage, green beans, carrots, celery, sweet potatoes, bamboo sprouts, jicama and small amounts of meat like pork chicken and shrimps. Like its dressed counterpart this is also served with a sweet style peanut sauce. A really good vegetable dish that can be consumed on its own, with rice or as a side dish.

Ingredients (Filling)

1/3 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
3 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 cup water

Ingredients (Others)

ground peanuts

Method (Filling)

1. In a wok heat oil then lightly brown the pork pieces.
  2. Add garlic and stir fry for 1 minute.
  3. Add sweet potatoes and stir fry for 1 minute
  4. Add cabbage, French beans and shrimps and stir fry for 1 minute.
  5. Add chicken stock and simmer for 1 minute.
  6. Remove from wok, place in a colander to drain any liquid. Set aside

Method (Peanut Sauce)

1. Place 6 garlic cloves in a sauce pan with water, bring that to a boil and cook garlic with skin on. You can also cook this together with the bamboo shoots. Once cooked remove from sauce pan then remove the skin and mash.
  2. In a sauce pan add oil then sauté garlic once brown add soy sauce, water, sugar, half of chopped peanuts and mashed garlic. Bring to a boil then simmer.
  3. Add cornstarch mixture and cook in low temperature until sauce thickens.

Method (Lumpiang Hubad)

1. Serve mixed vegetables on a plate then dress it with peanut sauce then top it with ground peanuts.

1. nors says:

Yan ang paborito ni bayaw(armin)…..

2. Judy says:

LOVE this idea! As soon as I saw the photo, I thought it would be a lovely filling for a lettuce wrap–gonna try that and let you know how it goes. 🙂

3. Tessa says:

Looks wonderful! I never had my lumpias without the wrapper before. Great idea!

4. Purely.. Kay says:

Naked spring rolls.. I LOVE this idea. I never heard of it but I’m so glad I visited your blog today. I will have to try this immediately

5. Eri says:

Looks amazing Reymund!

6. As long as the peanut sauce is good, I don’t care if it’s ‘hubad’ or wrapped! haha looks great Raymund. 😀

7. nipponnin says:

This looks so good! I should get some ingredients for this dish tomorrow. I love the colorful photo.

8. samology says:

Oh yummy! Another great dish! In Singapore we call this “po piah”. I guess it may have derived from fukkien! Never had it without the skin though but I guess it would be healthier this way! hehe..

Fantastic pictures! They make me want to try these vegetables…and that’s saying something. While I’m starting to enjoy veggies more, they’re still not tops on my list. I’m getting there though. 🙂

10. Henry says:

I also like to eat Lumpia this way. ^_^

11. I’ve been having lots of (deep fried) Lumpia in the last couple of days here in Manila, so this naked version would be a lovely light change – perhaps that’s what I’ll go looking for this afternoon!

12. What a great idea! And a great recipe.

13. Naked lumpia…?? Oh yea!! For sure!!!

14. Guia Obsum says:

I love fresh lumpia sans the wrapper to eliminate distractions. Do you know that I have a thick pile of your recipes for our cook to try and do? Now, I’m gonna run out of paper again coz I see so many recipes in your blog I’d like to taste.

Looks absolutely yummy. I definitely want to make this for my next family get together.

What a great idea to make vegetables more exciting to eat 🙂

1. April 21, 2012

[…] become a big favorite of mine.  When I saw his “spring rolls without wrappers” plate http://angsarap.net/2012/04/17/lumpiang-hubad/, I knew I had to make it.  Crisp vegetables with ground pork and shrimp sounded like a winner to […]

2. September 26, 2013

[…] Lumpiang Hubad – Lumpiang Sariwa or Lumpiang Ubod without the wrapper usually served with peanut sauce. […]

3. January 8, 2016