Pisto Manchego

Pisto Manchego

Day two of the Lenten Dishes week and lets do something Spanish as this is the country that gave the Catholic faith to the Filipinos.   Today we will be doing some Pisto Manchego.

Pisto Manchego or Pisto is a Spanish dish that is made out of courgettes, eggplant, tomatoes, onions, peppers and olive oil similar to the French Ratatouille it is served commonly as a side dish. The main differences are the Spanish version is sometimes served with eggs and vegetables are prepared by chopping it in small pieces rather than bite sized portions of the Ratatouille.

This humble dish originated in La Mancha where it was possibly cooked by peasants where vegetable crops are easily accessible to them. Tough a lot might say that this is just another variation of the Ratatouille it is not and the distinguishing ingredient are the eggs specially when prepared with a sunny side up the runny egg yolks is a good combination with the flavours of the vegetables giving it a creamy consistency. Thought this is served commonly as a side dish or as a bread dip, some use it as a filling to empanadas. How about you if you haven’t tried this yet where do you think you can use pisto?

Pisto Manchego

• 2 pcs courgettes
  • 1 pc eggplant
  • 2 red capsicums
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 6 pcs large tomatoes
  • 1 medium red onion, unpeeled
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • pinch of cumin
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • eggs, fried sunny side up
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  1. Grill courgettes, eggplant, capsicum, onion and tomatoes until soft and charred. Charcoal grill works best.
  2. Remove the seeds and slice the capsicums, Trim and cut vegetables into small pieces, mince the grilled garlic. Do also remove heavy charred skins from vegetables.
  3. In a pan heat olive oil then add onions and garlic. Sauté for 30 seconds.
  4. Add eggplants and cook for 2 minutes.
  5. Add remaining vegetables then simmer 5 minutes.
  6. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper
  7. Prepare your eggs, place pisto on plate then serve with eggs on top.

1. Sounds scrumptious Raymund.
    🙂 Mandy

2. Judy says:

Mmm, that would be a great breakfast too! I like the combination of vegetables with the egg to top it off. Looks like a winner.

3. wok with ray says:

Looks like a very hearty meal. I don’t mind giving up meat for this. Thank you, Raymund! 🙂

4. I’ve never thought to add an egg to a meal of ratatouille, but I love the idea. That sounds like a great, huevos rancheros-type combination. Beautiful photos on here!

5. Kim says:

I haven’t heard of that before, but it sure looks tasty 😀

6. Mmm I’m a veggie lover so this would be perfect for me! I love manchego as well. Great recipe!

7. Lovely Pantry says:

This looks lovely. It would be a great side dish, but I’d probably have it just as you photographed it here. Very nice recipe, Raymund! Pinned!

8. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

How delicious! I thought this is Ratatouille but it’s a Filipino version. Egg on top the food 100 times better. 🙂

9. peasepudding says:

I love this kind of dish, particularly for a Sunday brunch.

10. Purely.. Kay says:

I just love this hearty meal. And I absolutely love the eggplant in this dish as well.

11. Elodie Amora says:

Great vegetarian dish! It really does resemble Ratatouille except for the addition of the egg.

I love eating it straight – but I definitely always add the egg. Even though it’s not traditional I actually like to scatter a bit of manchego cheese on top and some smoked paprika to garnish 🙂 The grilled veggies in your dish look amazing

Wild…I totally thought this would have cheese in it. One of my favorite cheeses is called Manchego. I love learning things on your blog Raymund. 🙂 This looks delicious too.

14. yousef says:

like it soo much

thanks For You

nice idea of having egg toppings. 🙂

16. Sylvia Ramos says:

I think this is the recipe that gave me printing problems, not the Eggplant Parmigiana.

1. June 19, 2013