Eggplant Parmigiana

Eggplant Parmigiana

It is the holy week and right now in the Philippines and other countries that practice the Catholic faith.  During these times people start to abstain from any meat dishes which means only vegetables and seafood are to be consumed, to honour that practice this week will be Lenten dishes week and that means I will only post vegetable and seafood dishes.  So lets start with something satisfying so you won’t crave for something meaty, let me present to you the Eggplant parmigiana.

Parmigiana is a Southern Italian dish made out of fried sliced filling layered with mozzarella cheese, parmigiano cheese and tomato sauce then baked. Usually it is made with meat cutlets such as chicken and veal but earliest version calls for aubergines (eggplant).

The origins of this dish have several theories behind it, First it was believed that this dish originated in Parma in Northern Italy, and it was evident from its name as Parmesan refers to the city of Parma and the Parmesan cheese is from Parma. Another theory suggests that it originated in Campania region and within that region there are a lot of suggestions, some say that the name came from the word damigian a sleeve made of wicker where wine bottles are placed, or in this case, the hot casserole. Others also say that the dish has nothing to do with parmigiano cheese but derives from the Sicilian palmigiana (take note of the spelling), which means shutters as that’s how the dish looks like when cooked.

For this version we will not fry the eggplants instead we will be grilling it to have a deeper flavour as well as reducing the oil as eggplants absorbs oil really well. A very good and filling dish, imagine lasagne without the meat, though I can’t say that this is healthier (just look at that cheese) this is a good meal to serve for those who do not eat meats or even for a carnivorous like me 🙂

3 eggplant, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp butter
olive oil
salt
freshly ground black pepper

1. In a sauce pan sauté half of garlic and onions in olive oil, cook until onions are soft.
  2. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice, basil and oregano. Simmer for 5 minutes then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  3. In a stove top grill add small amount of olive oil then lightly grill eggplant slices (do not fully cook) then set aside.
  4. In the same pan, add the butter then sauté the remaining garlic, once golden brown in colour add the bread crumbs and pan fry until crispy. Remove from pan then set it aside.
  5. In a baking dish spread some tomato sauce at the bottom then place a layer of eggplant slice. Scoop some sauce on the top, sprinkle with mozzarella parmesan then top it again with another layer, repeat the steps until you have three layers.
  6. In a 180C preheated oven bake eggplants for 30 minutes or until top turns golden brown.
  7. Place in a serving plate then sprinkle with crispy bread crumbs on top.

1. Delicious Raymund – so pretty in the picture too.
    🙂 Mandy

2. I’ve heard a lot about this dish but never tried it. I must be living in a cave:)

3. lazyblackcat says:

No more chicken parmigiana for me. The eggplant version looks superb!

4. nors says:

Pre mukang sayo yung nasa harap. Malaki ang parte eh.. Hehehe

5. Oh wow this parmigiana looks stunning – now I do not have to get jealous of my bro and daddy who go around eating chicken all the time with the sauce and cheese 😀
    You are aweesome!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

this is an interesting mix… looks sinfully healthy..

7. Judy says:

Raymund, that is a beautiful dish, satisfying and comforting. A great way to start the week; I can’t imagine anyone missing meat when eating it. Yum!

8. Villy says:

What a delicious dish! Pity that for our Easter (Greek) I can’t even eat cheese or butter or cream.. But I’ll save it for later! 😀

This is easily one of my favorite foods. I like the idea of grilling the eggplant. We haven’t done that before. I think we need to make this one ASAP. I just LOVE eggplant. 🙂

10. cupcakemuffin says:

This looks fantastic! I am also celebrating Lent by avoiding meat, and this dish looks like the perfect thing to eat – so tasty! 🙂

11. Aileen says:

Whoa… you make that eggplant look really delectable and appetizing! I know some people who don’t like eggplant because of the ‘look’ but I think these would make them think twice. How much more for the taste, right? ♥

12. This reminds me of my dad as we both adore this dish and if we go to an Italian restaurant, we always order this! Happy food and father memories 🙂

13. OMG!!!!
    This looks perfect!!!
    I absolutely love this dish and you have made it perfectly.

14. Purely.. Kay says:

I am a eggplant lover, so of course I love this recipe. Your dish really came out looking scrumptious

15. This is one of my favorite dishes! I love that you grilled the eggplant instead of frying it. It looks perfect!

16. One of my favorites. Looks wonderful.

17. Wow, the melty cheese looks heavenly!

18. mmm that breaded crust looks so good!

19. samology says:

Hi Raymund!! This eggplant parmigiana looks soooooooo good! With this, even I, a meat lover, would be willing to go without meat for a while! Have I told you that eggplants are my favourite vegetables? True story!!! I’ve never had grilled eggplants though! So I must must try this!

20. talibatab says:

Reblogged this on DiNODAViD.COM.

21. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Your eggplant parmigiana seriously make my mouth water. I love eggplant and this is irresistible dish for me!

22. peasepudding says:

Lets not worry about healthy, it looks amazing

23. PolaM says:

This is one of my favorite dishes! Love eggplants! And they only get better when you add cheese and tomatoes!

I love eggplant parmigiana but never thought to grill the eggplant before. Yum! That must have been so savory

25. This looks amazing, if it wasn’t holy week, I would be stuffing these with some pork… hang on, it is not now! Perhaps I shall make a porky version of this soon!