Stir Fried Beef with Courgettes and Capsicum

Stir Fried Beef with Courgettes and Capsicum

Its day 2 of stir fry week now we will be making some stir-fries out of Zucchini (or Courgettes that’s what we call it here) as it in season right now. For those who haven’t used this vegetable it is a type of squash that grows during the summer, it may not look like a squash but trust me they are from the same family but a hybrid of the cucumber. This vegetable is best picked at an early stage when they are roughly 8 inches in length and best if there is a flower still attached to it. Zucchini usually is dark or light green in colour but there are some types that are deep yellow or orange in colour. Zucchini has a very delicate flavour and requires a very small amount of time for cooking and with skin on.

For this recipe we will be cooking a stir fry with beef, capsicum, mushrooms, carrots and zucchini. I choose those ingredients for the different flavours, colours and textures from the delicate zucchinis, sweet and crunchy carrots, peppery and sweet yellow peppers, earthy and soft mushrooms to the tender meaty beef truly that combination is a perfect concoction.

500g beef tenderloin, sliced
3 zucchinis, sliced
2 small carrots, sliced
2 yellow capsicums, sliced
2 cups white button mushrooms, cut in half
1 white onion, sliced
2 tsp ginger paste
1/2 cup Chinese cooking wine
2 tbsp light soy sauce (adjust to saltiness you want)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
salt
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking soda
freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp sesame oil
peanut oil

1. Mix together baking soda, cornstarch, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp cooking wine, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add sliced beef and marinate for at least an hour. Note: Like I said before in a lot of my stir fries baking soda is the key to make the meat tender and have that silky texture like the ones you eat in Chinese restaurants
  2. Prepare a really hot wok then add around 2 tbsp of oil, once oil is near its smoking point add a scoopful of beef then stir fry quickly for around 2-3 minutes. Do it in batches and do not overcrowd the wok. Once cook set them aside.
  3. Still in high heat add more oil if needed then add ginger paste and onion into the wok then stir fry for 30 seconds.
  4. Add mushrooms and stir fry for 30 seconds.
  5. Add carrots and yellow capsicums then stir fry for 2 minutes.
  6. Add zucchini then stir fry for 1 more minute.
  7. Add the cooked beef together with remaining cooking wine, sesame oil, light soy sauce and sugar. Stir fry for 1 more minute adding more cooking wine if needed.
  8. Season with freshly ground pepper.

1. Samantha says:

Super giving,delicious 🙂

2. Yum! Definitely need two bowls of rice please. =D

3. peachkins says:

I love stir-fried anything! Na-imagine ko na yung taste nito!

4. Henry says:

I usually see this in a restaurant. Yummy and healthy.

5. crustabakes says:

Definitely loving the mixture of zuchinni, carrots, mushroom, beef and bell peppers. Pretty colours, and wonderful array of textures and taste!

6. PolaM says:

And you chose well! It looks delicious and colorful! Stir fry is something I yet have to master.

7. wok with ray says:

You’re got abundance of beauties there, Raymund! Pass the rice please as this one needs some serious and undivided attention. 🙂

8. Oh my, another stunning dish and I think I could get hold of everything I need to make it!

9. Beef tenderloin? Wow! You spared no expense in this tantalizing stir fry! Looks spectacular!

10. OK, I just sighed when that picture came up!

11. samology says:

omgosh… Your family is so lucky to be able to eat all this deliciousness made by you every day!!!!! I wish I was your neighbour. lol

12. meri says:

its funny, we call them zucchini and bell peppers!

13. Yummm….
    I love this, I can eat this by itself no side needed LOL

14. Great combo of veges inside and sure brings out so much of vibrant with lovely contrast of colors.

15. I really like all the vegetables in there and the beef looks so tender. I have always wondered why a recipe calls for light soy sauce … can you tell me? This really looks delicious!

• rsmacaalay says:

I usually keep 3 types of soy sauces light, dark and the normal ones they serve different purpose to me.

Normal soy sauce like the Philippine Soy Sauce or Japanese Kikkoman are good for dipping

Light soy sauce are too salty can be used as a replacement for fish sauce specially if you dont want that fishy taste, this sauce is good for stir fried dishes that you dont want intense dark colour, can be also good for dipping but with mixture of other ingredients

Dark also good for stir fried dishes but if you only want dark color for your stir fry, this has lesser taste and it has that slightly burnt flavour. Not good for dipping but good for marinades

All of them are good for marinating meats but amounts must vary as they differ in saltiness. The lighter in colour the saltier they are.

Hope this helps

16. Purely.. Kay says:

I’m printing this recipe out too.. just so you know lol. I will have to tell you how each of these dishes turns out

So colorful! I love all of the vegetables in this. Pinned!

1. March 16, 2012

[…] get proper service, whenever we’re hankering for a good exotic recipe and lovely food pictures. Ang Sarap is one such place; those of you who are regulars at The BeautifuList know we’ve featured them […]