Japchae

Japchae

Japchae, jabchae or chapchae is a Korean noodle dish made out of dangmyeon (sweet potato starch noodles) cooked with vegetables (carrots, onion, spinach, and mushrooms) and meat which is served hot or cold. The name japchae in English means “mixed vegetables”. A dish popular in Korea, severed usually as a side dish but can also be served as mains.

Japchae was invented by Yi Chung during the 17th century as a dish to be served to King Gwanghaegun who had held a big gathering at the palace during those times. The king so loved the dish and in return promoted Yi Chung as his Secretary of the Treasury.  During those times japchae was made only made out of only vegetables (no noodles) similar to the chopseuy then in the 20th century dangmyeon was added and become a primary ingredient of this dish.

Another simple noodle dish which you can pair with Korean Barbecues, rice and kimchi and in my personal opinion, this is better if enjoyed cold rather than straight out of the wok.

1 packet sweet potato starch noodles (dangmyeon)
200g beef, thinly sliced
1 bunch spinach or choysum
1 medium carrot, julienned
1 medium white onion, sliced
6 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and thinly sliced (reserve liquid used for rehydration)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp cayenne pepper
salt
sugar
freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook noodles according to instruction, drain then set it aside.
  2. Season beef slices in salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  3. Blanch your spinach or choysum, and then rinse it with cold running water, set it aside.
  4. Prepare a wok add oil then in high heat stir fry beef pieces for around 2 minutes. Set this aside.
  5. Add garlic in the wok then sauté for 30 seconds.
  6. Add mushrooms then continue to stir fry for 30 seconds.
  7. Add carrot and onions then stir fry for a minute.
  8. Add the cooked noodles and vegetable greens, beef, soy sauce, cayenne, sesame oil, salt, sugar and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well then turn off the heat.
  9. Serve it hot or cold.

1. peachkins says:

I like my Japchae to be a on the sweet side…weird yata yon?

2. IamSimplyTia says:

This looks so good. I’m so happy I found your blog. I learn so much about dishes from the other side of my world. Hopefully, I’ll gather up the courage to try a few of them soon because they look exquisite!

Have a great day!

3. Jay says:

wat a wonderful combination…delicious
    Tasty Appetite

4. That looks wonderful, I am all in! I’ve been wanting to try sweet potato noodles.

5. Eri says:

Oh I’m sure that I’m going to love that! I never tasted those noodles!

6. I can see why it was made for a king:) I have never seen sweet potato noodles.. is this something new that just came out or am I looking in the wrong store?

7. I think I could happily eat noodles every day of the week–possibly, at every meal.

8. I’m not sure I could find those noodles, but they sound awesome. Great recipe.

9. Cherrey says:

You don’t run out of amazing recipes!

10. Dear Raymund,

Seems like almost every Asian culture has their own version of chap chai. My fave is the ones with salted cabbage, vinegar and left over roast duck. It’s such an appetising dish because of its sour spicy taste!

Sweet potato noodles?! Fabulous! I would love those. 🙂

12. meri says:

sweet potato starch noodles sound delicious!

13. Plenty of the veges inside this noodles is simply great and I too do that most of the time, looks very inviting.

14. My wife and I japchae, but of course have never made it before. thx for sharing a recipe for it.

15. I always order Japchae when I go to Korean restaurant and I even tried making it at home several times. But my recipe is missing something and I’m not satisfied with it. It’s time to try yours!

I love chapchae, all of the vegetables are so filling and give it so much flavor. Agree on the cold part, I like to make it the night before and pack it for lunches

17. Stefanie says:

Yummy! This is right up my alley! I love Korean food!

noodle looked delicious.. i haven’t tried korean dish yet..

19. Vicky says:

This sounds delicious!! I’ve got to make this!

20. Gina says:

Are they made in Korea? Here in Richmond Vic. glass noodles are made in China 🙁 anyone here can help me where to buy one that are made in Korea? I’m avoiding food from China. Thanks

21. Connie says:

Thank you, I have been looking for this recipe, first time I tried it was in a Korean restaurant. Love it!

22. shair says:

What type of soy sauce should I use? Can I use the typical filipino soy sauce like datu puti?

23. Shaira says:

What type of soy sauce should I use? Can I use the typical filipino sou sauce like datu puti?

24. joanna says:

where can i buy the noodles?