Meringue Kisses

Meringue

Meringue Kisses is a type of dessert made out of baked whipped egg whites and sugar, this is one of the really good ways of using unused egg whites after making some yema (like the one we made yesterday), crème caramel or crème brulee.

Meringue has been existing for quite some time now and like any other popular dishes there are multiple claims for its invention. The first evidence in existence is a recipe for a baked beaten egg white and sugar is a handwritten 1604 recipe called “white bisket bread” made by Lady Elinor Fettiplace. Other claims are from Lady Rachel Fane in the 1630, Francois Massialot in the 1692 and Gasparini 1720. But regardless of who made it first all we know is that this inspired the new version meringues like the Hard Meringues (Swiss Variant) and Soft Meringues (Pie Variant).

This recipe below will make sure you have a very crispy meringue even on the insides which is a problem of the home made ones. The only secret in this recipe is forgetting it in the oven. For details read how it’s made below.

How about you do you know of any other uses for egg whites?

Meringue Kisses

• 4 egg whites
  • ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • drop of food colouring
  1. Preheat oven to 190C.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. In a mixing bowl beat egg whites until frothy.
  4. Add cream of tartar and salt then beat until stiff.
  5. Add sugar a tablespoon at a time until while continuously beating at high speed until it forms stiff peaks.
  6. Add vanilla and colouring then mix evenly.
  7. Place in a piping bag then pipe it on the parchment paper.
  8. Place meringues in the oven, and then turn it off after 2 minutes. Leave it on the oven for 4 hours.
  9. Remove from the oven then place on an airtight container.

Meringue Wide

1. All this time I have baking all the simple desserts by hand and now that I a cake mixer, I am going to try this meringue recipe of yours Raymund. I tried once by hand beating the whites but such a big failure.

I normally use egg whites as dipping to fry chicken, prawns or even fish. This give a fluffy and popped up skin.

2. i bet after making meringue, you will be making leche plan using the egg yolks! =)

3. peachkins says:

I love the color of your meringue kisses!! Pa-tweetums!

4. nors says:

highly recommended kay kuya armin…hehehe

5. These are beautiful! I wish I could have one with a cup of tea right now. Love that you made them pink and blue. Other uses for egg whites….? I think you just came up with the best answer to that my friend. Oh, I have another…Angel Food Cake. I do have a recipe on my blog for one, BUT it requires a dozen egg whites and then the question is…what to do with a dozen egg yolks. 😉

6. Now I’m hungry! hahaha the colors looks really nice. 😀

7. PolaM says:

How do you get such perfect meringues? Mine always turn semi-liquid while I add sugar….. Maybe I’m too impatient when adding the sugar?

8. ceciliag says:

These are just gorgeous and so festive. i gave meringues in jars at christmas this year and never though to colour them.. Love it! c

9. IamSimplyTia says:

I love beautiful food! These meringue kisses look amazing!

10. Karen says:

You brought back memories of my grandmother. She used to make them but said you had to have a nice dry day for them to turn out really good.

11. Eri says:

I love little meringues! They look spectacular!

12. We love using them in macaroons or just scrambling them. These cookies look great.

13. Fantastic looking meringues.

14. The last time I made meringues they were, as you say here, not crisp enough in the middle. So I’m going to try *your* recipe!! Thank you. 🙂

15. Joanne Ozug says:

Aren’t egg whites amazing? I love meringue.

16. I just LOVE Meringue Kisses… I think this will be the first thing I bake for my sweetie :). Thanks Raymund

17. wok with ray says:

Nice capture of the pastel colors of the Meringue, Raymund!

18. meri says:

oh I love love love meringues- yours are so pretty, almost silvery!

These are so cute. And I bet very yummy!

20. I once had a craving for meringue kisses where I walked to different patisseries for about 2km until I found them. I was about 12.
    Nowadays I freeze egg whites, add them to fried rice and make omelettes.

nice pastel color for your meringue. the one in the shops I saw always are in shocking pink or blue color.

This are so cute! Love that you used multiple colors. Meringues are so delicious and actually relatively healthy – it’s the best of both worlds.

23. After Taste says:

Yum! These look great!!

24. Nicole Iseman-Spiegel says:

This might sound silly but I want to clarify before I try making them: Do they ever go “IN” the oven? You say several times that they go “ON” the oven but I was wondering if that was a misprint LOL

25. river says:

this sounds simple enough, i want to try this 🙂 but just to clarify, turn off the oven just after 2 minutes?? just two minutes? all the other recipes i found require at least 30 minutes…

• rsmacaalay says:

Yup that’s correct its 2 minutes (if your oven has a tight seal) if not I suggest around 5-10 minutes depending on the heat escape. But mine was good for 2 minutes its the residual heat that dies and cooks it properly without getting very dark tips

26. Vi says:

Hi, can i not leave it in the oven for 4 hrs? I’m planning to make a hundred or two so it might take a while if I let them sit in the oven for that long. Any suggestions? Thanks! 🙂

27. Hello, may I just clarify, we bake the meringue in the oven for just 2 minutes, turn the oven off, and leave it there for 4 hours, right?

Thanks!

28. Edna says:

I did the 2 minutes thingy and wait for 4 hours but the meringues i made are stil kind of liquidy in the middle

• Raymund says:

Did you preheat the oven sure that the temp is 190 when your kisses are placed in? You might need to check that your oven is tightly sealed as well a small leak will ruin the temperature.

29. Lisa says:

Hi, does the recipe really call for 1 cup of sugar? Because I have 12 egg whites waiting to be used, so that means I need 3 cups of sugar? Sounds too sweet for me 🙂

1. March 16, 2012

[…] Note : this recipe also appears @ Ang Sarap, original post can be seen here Meringue Kisses […]

2. March 26, 2014

[…] what is a Paciencia cookie? Well it a cross between a cookie and a meringue, it’s a very popular cookie in the Philippines and kids love it. It’s small, sweet and crunchy […]