Calamares (Deep Fried Squid Rings)

Calamares

Calamares or Calamari is a deep-fried squid dish from the Mediterranean Region. It is a dish that is made out of batter-coated then deep fried squid served with different condiments depending on the country, some popular ones are in Southeast Asia where they normally use sweet chilli sauce, in the Mediterranean they use lemon, in Philippines they use a mix of catsup and mayonnaise, in America they use tartar sauce and so on.

This is a really simple dish to make and it only consists of batter and squid which is deep-fried quickly. The secret to this dish is how long it was cooked (preferably less than 2 minutes) and whether you have the right oil temperature (it should not be so hot to burn it but not too cold to make it soggy). My daughter loves this a lot and every time she smells something deep-fried in our kitchen she always ask if its Calamares that I am cooking.

Enjoy this dish as a side dish or appetizer, In Philippines we use it as beer match!

500g squid tubes, cut into rings
2 medium eggs, beaten
black pepper
2 tbsp fish sauce
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
oil

1. In a bowl combine together eggs, fish sauce and squid, let it marinate for at least an hour.
  2. In a separate bowl with cover combine flour, cornstarch, cayenne and freshly ground pepper
  3. Place the coated squid one by one on the bowl with the flour mixture, cover and shake until coated evenly
  4. In a pot heat oil in a high temperature and deep fry the squid, fry only for a maximum of 2 minutes otherwise it will have a rubbery texture.

1. Henry says:

We order Calamares every time we have drinking session.

2. Although I love squid I don’t make fried calamari at home and I don’t mind deep frying! I totally should try at home – save a lot of money by cooking at home, as we often order it as appetizer.

3. IamSimplyTia says:

I love calamari when I go out to restaurants!!! I’m not brave enough to try at home yet even though it seems so simple. I have to let go of my fear and get to it. Lovely photo!

4. I adore calamari and order it at every opportunity but have never been brave enough to prepare and cook it for myself though.

I like mine with garlic mayonaise and lemon but also like chilli dipping sauces

5. This looks crispy and delicious. The best part is that a large basket is filled to the brim:)

6. Lovely crispy rings with that perfect dip served together.

7. I haven’t enjoyed deep fried calamari for the longest time! Cornstarch is the best to help makes things crispy.
    🙂 Mandy

Would indeed pair well with a cold beer !

These are a favorite at our house. We’ve only attempted the homemade version once, but it’s the only appetizer we order at Italian restaurants. In fact, we usually get two orders because the kids devour it!

10. One of my favorites. I only eat it out, this is tempting to try at home!

11. Eri says:

I’m drooling..
    You hit a spot right there… sigh! sigh! sigh!

12. My stepfather absolutely loves Calamares .. so I can’t wait to show him this recipe.

13. Eileen says:

Calamares are a staple in our home. Our Little Girl absolutely loves calarames, and other squid dishes. Maybe you would like to check my blog for other squid dishes you can make for your family 🙂

14. wok with ray says:

I like the addition of cayenne pepper as it adds a little heat. Looks nice and crunchy. Also good with spicy garlic vinegar. 🙂

calamares is a bit expensive to be just a sumsuman during drinking session.. but yes, this is one of my many favorites too..

Yum – you’re calamari looks perfectly fried. I like to soak mine in buttermilk for a few hours beforehand to make it more tender. I’ve never tried dipping it in a mix of ketchup and mayo though – sounds delicious! PS – is it banana sauce or actual ketchup?

17. saj says:

I made your version last weekend, and i must say, they were the best so far. They came out super tender, light and airy.. . And it was so easy too.. Family loved them.

I made a dressing with japanese mayo and roasted sesame seeds..

18. Tatiana says:

l did this today but didn´t use the fish sauce cause haven´t try it and instead of that used garlic powder, paprika , cummin, black pepper and salt , it was soooooooooooo good!! great recipe 🙂

1. December 22, 2011

[…] Crisp Apple Streudel Italian Fig Cookies and Soup with Fresh Noodles Cheese Spinach Roulade and  Deep Fried Squid Rings These are a few of my favorite […]

2. April 24, 2012

[…] that she always asks me to do when I start making my weekly menu and shopping list, dishes like calamares, sopas, sinigang, tortang talong and this one the Sticky Garlic Chicken wings will always be […]

3. June 5, 2014

[…] we ordered some entrees like this fried calamari pictured above and caprese (I forgot to take a photo […]

4. April 15, 2015

[…] is a simple deep fried squid dish popular in East Asia and South East Asian cuisine, similar to the calamares but instead of using the squid bodies this dish uses its tentacles and served with a sweet and […]