I am not sure if I call this a re-post but this is the second time I will be doing a salmon and sushi roll but this time there is an extra salmon wrapped together with the nori sheets, I got this idea lately at one of our favourite Japanese restaurant here in Auckland called Narita. Although, I have first seen this style in one of the sushi shops in Nice. Like before we were craving again for some Japanese and ordered one big bento box for each us and a dozen sushi, the sushi was a bit different from what we ordered before as it was half wrapped with salmon over the nori sheets. I love this sushi variant but I am not sure how is it called is it just called Salmon and Avocado roll, or does it have a special name?
Ingredients (Sushi Rice)
1 cup Japanese Short-Grain Rice
1 1/4 cups Cold Water
3 tablespoons Mirin (Sushi Rice Vinegar)
Ingredients (Sushi Roll)
2 cups Freshly Prepared Sushi Rice
100g Fresh Salmon, sliced into strips
2 pcs small Avocado, sliced into strips
4 sheets of Nori Seaweed Wrapper
thinly sliced salmon cut into 1/3 size of a nori sheet
1 teaspoon Wasabi Paste
Method (Sushi Rice)
- Rinse rice with water until drain water runs clear.
- Place rice and cold water in a small rice cooker and cook.
- Once cooked stand for 10 minutes covered in rice cooker.
- Place rice in ceramic bowl then slowly add vinegar while mixing the rice.
- Set aside to cool in room temperature but keep rice covered with a damp cloth while preparing.
Method (Sushi Roll)
- Place a bamboo sushi mat on a flat surface then place a sheet of cling wrap on top.
- Place thinly sliced salmon on top of the cling wrap then place nori on top of salmon; make sure salmon is placed aligned on the lower bottom of the nori sheets.
- Cover upper half portion of nori with thin layer of sushi rice, press it firmly with a bamboo spoon and distribute it evenly on the edges.
- Place a pinch of wasabi paste across the top edge the place strips of avocado and salmon side by side.
- Now roll the bamboo mat starting at the edge while pressing it firmly, continue until it reaches the end of the bamboo mat.
- Remove the roll from the bamboo mat and carefully slice into 1 inch thick pieces, remove the cling wrap. Moisten the sharp knife every time you cut a new slice.