Dinuguan

Dinuguan

Last October 7 I did my first guest blog post at Miss Tam Chiak it was a pleasure to be invited by Maureen and this was my blog post, a dish not for the faint hearted.   If my dinakdakan post did freaked you out or if you don’t like any offal at all well do not read further, you have been warned as this dish will turn off a lot of people of specially the ones who are not the food adventurous type.

Now for those who are interested then this dish is a pork blood stew, yes the sauce is made out of pork’s blood. This is your chance to be like Eric, Bill or Sookie of True Blood even just for a while during lunch or dinner. If that still is not alarming to you then you can still read further, I just want to share everything about Philippine cuisine with no holds barred, though I don’t really crave for this type of dish I still want to share it with you guys this was also the first time I cooked this in New Zealand.

Dinuguan, pork blood stew, blood pudding stew or chocolate meat is another popular Filipino dish made out of different offal’s like lungs, kidneys, intestines, ears, heart and snout cooked in a pig’s blood flavoured with vinegar or tamarind. Dinuguan came from the Tagalog word “dugo” which means blood. Though its a very uncommon ingredient to use, this is not just consumed in the Philippines and in fact there other countries that use blood in their cuisine like the Polish’s Czernina which is made out of duck blood, the Swedish Svartsoppa which is made out of goose blood and the ever popular British Black Pudding. Very unusual to some but this dish is very popular in the Philippines and most of the Filipino themed restaurants serve this type of stew usually served with a rice cake called puto.

For this dish I won’t be using offal and will be using pork belly instead, I guess blood alone is too hard-core for some to take. Are you brave enough to try this one out?

Dinuguan

Serves: 6
Dinuguan
  • 750g pork belly, sliced into small cubes
  • 250g pork heart, sliced into small cubes
  • 1½ cups pigs’ blood
  • 3 cups water
  • 6 green finger chillies
  • 1 whole garlic, minced
  • ½ thumb sized ginger, minced
  • 1 large onions, finely chopped
  • 1 packet sinigang mix
  • 3 tbsp white vinegar
  • salt
  • freshly ground pepper
Puto
  • 2 cups rice flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • ¾ cups sugar
  • 1½ cups coconut milk
  • ⅔ cup water
  • pinch of salt
Dinuguan
  1. In a pot add oil then brown pork belly and pork heart pieces
  2. Add garlic, onion and ginger and cook until onions turn soft.
  3. Add the chillies, sinigang mix, vinegar and water, bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
  4. Add pork blood then, slowly simmer for 20 minutes.
  5. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Puto
  1. Sift together flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
  2. Add milk and water then mix until it forms a smooth batter.
  3. Place in moulds or if you don’t have puto moulds place it on small cups, fill up to ⅔ full then steam for 20 minutes.

Dinuguan Wide

1. I have to be honest Raymund, not for me though the dish looks good after all the cooking process.

2. This sounds interesting, given the chance I would surely try it. It looks a bit like rendang. New picture format looks great.

3. daisy says:

Yummmm! One of my faves! This is one of my special requests, along with Kare Kare, from my mom.

4. Hmm, well I do like black pudding. I’d try this and probably really enjoy it.

5. Meri says:

Mmm I want to try the puto!

6. Judy says:

Ok, I admit, I had to stop reading, but I’ll be back! You always keep it interesting 🙂

Hmmm. I was open to trying the dinakdakan, but I’m not sure I could do this one. Blood? Really? Yeah, I don’t think I could do it. Not that I wouldn’t want to…just not sure I could get past it.

8. peachkins says:

I’m fond of pork blood… kahit yung “Betamax” sa kanto gusto ko din. Hay, parang gusto ko din ng dinuguan…..

9. crustabakes says:

hmmm. i guess i am not that adventurous enough to try this out. Maybe one day in the future. lol

10. Jay says:

omg….sooooooooper tempting..love ur perfection..
    Tasty Appetite

11. Guia Obsum says:

Just ate dinuguan from a restaurant the other day which I didn’t like. Too bad coz I love dinuguan. I’ll let my cook try your recipe, yours looks good. I love the nice shade of dark brown and the chili pepper on top, coz I love it a bit spicy. 🙂

12. I’m not sure about this Dinuguan dish lol.. but honestly.. I love how some ingredients can be turned into something greater than you thought. I would try it

I’d be completely down to try this, but I’m not sure where to get pork blood where I’m at! I need to find a local farmer because I’m STILL trying to get chicken intestines (and imagine all of the crazy looks I get when I ask if they have any).

14. Henry says:

One of the Philippine favorite even if the ingredients sounds not so good. hehe

dinuguan used to be my favorite dish until i found out what it’s made for. I have this thing for blood. i don’t like to digest it. But love the presentation of your dinuguan.

16. PWTPrestado says:

Using sinigang mix is new to me. I prefer to use vinegar mixed with the blood to avoid clotting. And since I grew up in Bicol province, I use coconut milk with this dish. Yum!

17. chrisd says:

I am half Filipino, half American. When I was growing up this dish was at every Filipino party. Someone told me it was chocolate pork when I was little. I thought it looked disgusting and telling me there was chocolate in it sealed the deal; there was no way I was going near it.

When I was older they told me the main ingredient and why it had that lovely color. The American in me won’t touch it. But I will say this, the picture makes it look appetizing.

18. Will Apelo says:

Using Tamarind hmmm, that’s new to me too! I will try it though. Don’t really like vinegar. So this should be interesting. Thanks!

19. Liza says:

I have always enjoyed this dish growing up even after I knew what it was made of and still do, my husband is Canadian also likes this dish and my Mom would always make this for him before she passed away, sadly the recipe died with her so I haven’t had it since.

My husband will be very happy to know that I have found a recipe to make one of his favourite Filipino dishes ( his number one favourite is Kare-Kare with bagoong) which my Dad makes for us.

20. Joel says:

Very nice…just a different take on this, adding coconut milk to the dinuguan will give it a different taste and texture. And yummy too. That’s how we do it in the province where Mayon volcano is.

21. I really love Filipino food especially dinuguan. It’s always like a fiesta every time we have a vacation in the Philippines.

22. Maia says:

My dad makes nice and thick dinuguan. Aside from vinegar, he uses kamias (Averrhoa bilimbi) to make it sour. I love dinuguan. Some may find it disgusting, but it is really surprisingly delicious. 🙂

1. March 6, 2012

[…] trust me this is a must-try dish and this isn’t the scariest post so far. Have you tried the dinuguan dish yet? With this soup dish you won’t even notice the organ meat as the smell are mellowed […]

2. April 30, 2012

[…] usually served with butter or grated fresh coconut. It is used to accompany savoury dishes like dinuguan and pancit but can also be consumed on its own. There are a lot of variations of this dish and […]

3. March 8, 2013

[…] yeah you’ve seen that right, “blood”. Before I thought its only black pudding and dinuguan which uses blood in its ingredient, well I was […]

4. August 11, 2015

[…] these types of treats are served during merienda (snack time) or even paired with a main dish like dinuguan(pork blood stew) and pancit (Filipino stir fried noodles). There are a lot of variations of this […]

5. June 7, 2016

[…] can be topped with cheese or salted duck eggs, it can be enjoyed as a snack or as a side dish with dinuguan or […]

6. December 7, 2016
  7. December 12, 2016

[…] Philippines there are no animal innards left uneaten from heart, lungs, stomach and even blood there are many ways to cook them. I know they sound gross but if you eat processed meats like […]