Karioka

Karioka

Karioka or Carioca is a type of street food in the Philippines made out of glutinous rice flour and coconut meat which is deep fried then dipped in coconut milk and sugar syrup. Sounds delicious? Well yes, it is so simple as well; it contains few ingredients and cooks so quickly. After 15-20 minutes you have an exotic (well not to Filipinos) snack to indulge or serve. Still not convinced, well think of it as munchkins (doughnut holes) but with an Asian twist, instead of flour it uses rice flour and instead of normal sugar glaze it is flavoured with coconut milk. It’s soft on the inside and crispy on the outside with a hint of coconut and warm thick sweet syrup.

This is just one of the great street snacks Philippines have and if you are interested on what are those I had posted several items already like turon, kamote cue, chicharon, kwek kwek and sago’t gulaman but there are heaps more to come so keep in tuned I will be posting a lot of it soon.

Karioka

Karioka
  • 2 cups glutinous rice flour
  • 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
  • 1½ cups coconut milk
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • oil for deep frying
Glaze
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ⅓ cup coconut milk
  1. Combine karioka ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Once it forms a dough shape it into small balls roughly the same size of fish ball then set them aside.
  2. Heat enough oil in a wok for deep frying then once oil is hot drop shaped dough into the wok one by one, deep fry until golden brown in colour.
  3. Remove the balls, set aside and let it drain in a wire rack.
  4. Place all glaze ingredients in a sauce pan then mix well, cook in medium heat until sauce thickens.
  5. Drop Karioka balls in the glaze to coat them. Once all coated place them in skewers then serve while hot.

Karioka Wide

No Responses

1. peachkins says:

masarap na merienda yan ah.. teka, makahanap nga dito…

2. I haven’t had this in along time, time to make some!

3. u8mypinkcookies says:

sarap! i seldom see that na 🙁

4. Those looks incredible!
    🙂 Mandy

5. This coconut donut sounds great, and simple to make

6. I have not heard of this before but you bet its tempting and lovely.

7. kiwidutch says:

You are slowly but steadily ruining my resolve to eat healthier and loose some weight with all these DELICIOUS street food posts… lucky for me we (a) don’t have the necessary ingredients in the house and (b) I’m not up to standing on crutches long enough to make it, so I’m safe for now.
    I WILL have to remember not to read your posts until after my healthy dinner though, stuff like this looks so mouth watering I want to reach into the computer monitor and grab it LOL

8. Oh my gosh! Street food rocks, if only Mr Chipconnoisseur was more adventurous. He said he’s like a tortoise when it comes to trying new foods, and I’m like Bear Grylls!!! He’s actually just landed in Manila about 30 minutes ago. Now I wish I had gone with him… next time! Will have to look through your Filipino recipes to see what else is THIS good!

9. Judy says:

Oh, YUM! This sounds so good, I love coconut so these would be a welcome treat 🙂

10. I think I’ll be addicted to this as soon as having my first bite. Possibly better than regular donuts as it has coconut milk in it… Wonder if the Filipino bakery sells this…

11. This looks a little like the Indian gulab jamun–which I find tasty, and since I love coconut, Karioka might even beat the other treat, who knows!

12. I love a delicious pastry and this Karioka sounds similar to a lot of other desserts from different parts of the region. I love this

I read the first sentence and seriously nearly started drooling. That sounds heavenly!!!! Yum!

14. Sissi says:

I have never heard about karioka, but your photo is so beautiful I would taste it even without knowing what is inside 😉

15. Holy yum! These sound amazing. I would be afraid to make them as I would probably eat every last one!

16. ceciliag says:

those look incredible and deep fried? am i right? my fav!!

17. Mmm deep fried! And coconut! Yum.

18. Can I have that whole rack? Those look awesome!

19. Meri says:

wow- its like doughnuts, only better!

20. nors says:

di pa ko nakakatikim nyan pre…….

21. Wow I bet these would add a few pounds to the stomach region….but it would be well worth it!

i haven’t seen this being sold in the streets for years now.. rice and coconut combo is very asian indeed..

Yum! These are a personal favorite of mine – one of the top choices for merienda for me

24. Ruth says:

Any substitute for the sweetened coconut meat? I can’t find any here in my place 🙁 I was thinking of making the desiccated coconut sweet to substitute the meat… Though I don’t know if it will work 🙁