Pipian

Pipian

Pipian is a type of Mexican sauce made out of either roasted almonds or pumpkin seeds, traditionally served with chicken roast and enchiladas. A very old recipe which dates back to the Aztecs, the first account of this recipe was when it was mentioned by Fray Bernardino de Sahagún’s in “Historia General de las Cosas de Nueva España” during the late 1520’s. In that writing he describe in detail how Aztecs lived as a civilization and in one instance he described a dish which describes what is pipian today, he stated “casserole of fowl made with red chile and with tomatoes, and ground squash seeds”.

A very nutty and earthy flavoured sauce which for me is very unique in taste, think of it as a hot Kare Kare dish or like a savoury chunky peanut butter sauce. Try this one out especially with roast if you are looking for a different kind of flavour.  It is a totally new way of enjoying your roasts that’s of course if you are not a Mexican.

1/2 cup toasted almonds
1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups chicken stock
pitted black olives
salt
olive oil
roasted or grilled chicken

1. In a blender puree sesame seeds and almonds with 1 cup of chicken stock.
  2. Add olive oil in a sauce pan then pour in the blended mixture. Cook for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
  3. Add the remaining chicken stock then simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Pour in top of roasted chicken and garnish with olives.

No Responses

1. Wow, what a different recipe! My mom and husband would love this!
    Have a happy day.
    🙂 Mandy

2. Nice pairing with the nuts and beautiful salad, brings out some of flavours.

3. Pumpkin seeds are great for digestion! Loved reading the history of the sauce too, very informative and the dish looks great!

4. Judy says:

I have never had such a sauce…with a teaspoon of cayenne, I think I’d need a fire hydrant near by, wow.

Oh my I’m drooling! This looks so fabulous. I love the idea of a nutty, earthy and spicy sauce. Yum!

6. What a perfect recipe for fall. Everyone overlooks the seeds!

7. I’ve never heard if Pipian before, but it’s definitely colorful and looks interesting

8. I’m not familiar with pipian, but it looks and sounds tasty to me!

9. peachkins says:

I’ve never had Pipian but I love this photo, it’s mouthwatering..

10. Meri says:

I’ve never actually seen almonds in Mexican food, but I’m drooling over it now! This looks good

11. LOVE good Mexican food, so I do feel lucky to live in Texas, where I can get both authentic Mexican treats and good Tex-Mex! Pipian is a lovely concoction, isn’t it!

12. What a beautiful presentation of the food! Learned new sauce today. How do you learn all kinds of dish Raymund. I’m always impressed by your wide knowledge about food!

13. Young Wifey says:

Looks fantastic! I just found your blog though Samina Cooks on FB. Beautiful photos!!!

I love how simple and gorgeous this is. I’ve never heard of pipian before – thank you so much for introducing me to a new dish!

Looks so wonderfully colorful and flavoursome.

since the aztecs?? wow!

17. Kim says:

Are you kidding? This looks sooooo delicious!! I love avocado pears on my food!!

1. October 20, 2011

[…] you cook simple healthy food that matches the Celi Diet. This is a great example of a  Celi Diet meal,  a lovely ancient recipe for chicken by Ang Sarap.  This is another lovely simple yet gorgeous […]