I thought I am finished posting Filipino sour soup dishes until I remember this recipe which was served by one of my Favourite restaurants back in the Philippines called Ilongo Grill. they are famous for Ilonggo recipes which is a cuisine of Iloilo. Kansi is like a cross between Sinigang and Bulalo where Beef shanks are flavoured with a sour fruit called batawan and lemon grass, vegetables used are different as well as it uses jackfruit instead of the normal sinigang veggies.
So for sinigang lovers out there or any sour soup fanatics try this dish out, it will definitely satisfy your taste buds, the tangy and fresh flavours of this soup will keep you coming back for more.
- 3 pcs beef shank cuts (around 1.2 to 1.5kg)
- 2 cups sliced young jackfruit
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 thumb sized ginger, sliced
- 4-6 pcs green finger chillies
- 1 tbsp annatto powder
- 7 pcs batwan fruit or 1 large packet sinigang mix
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot add beef shanks, ginger, tomatoes and onion; pour enough water to cover everything. Bring it to a boil then simmer for 90 minutes or until meat is tender, remove any scum that rises.
- Add the souring agent (sinigang or batawan), sliced jackfruit, chillies, lemongrass and annatto powder simmer for 20 minutes or unitl jackfruit is tender.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.