Banana Crepe

Banana Crepe

Crepe is a type of a very thin pancake filled with a variety of fillings from sweet fruits, ice creams to savoury ham, eggs and cheese. A French creation which originated in Brittany, it came from the Latin word “crispa” which means “curled”. The history of crepe started from pancake which initially appeared as flat and unleavened bread. Archaeological evidence suggests that a pancake type dish was widely consumed during the prehistoric period where seed flours mixed with milk and eggs were cooked on hot stones and earthenware pots in an open fire. They also believed that it was shaped in a circle to represent the shape of the sun which was worshipped by ancient civilization. Then starting in the 15th century pancakes started to show up in Europe like the potato pancakes and pfankuchen of the Germans, crepes and galettes of the French, pannekoeken of the Dutch and pannkakor or the Swedish.

Crepes are popular in France and it all started in Brittany during the Medieval period where peasants made crepes for feudal lords as a sign of their loyalty. But today it is widely eaten by everyone, it is even served everywhere from streets to first class restaurants. This dish is popularly served in holidays, they even have a celebration for crepes which happen every February 2 and it is called La Chandeleur – Crepe Day.

So for this post we will be making some banana and chocolate crepes, Initially I was hesitant in making one as I donโ€™t have a crepe maker and this is a bit hard to make manually using a pan but after making Lumpiang Sariwa without a crepe maker I said to myself I can do this and here is the result.

Ingredients (Crepe)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
2 cups milk
2 tbsp melted butter + more for pan

Ingredients (Others)

chocolate powder
chocolate syrup
sliced bananas
French vanilla ice cream

1. Sift together flour, sugar and salt
  2. Using a hand mixer beat eggs and milk together.
  3. Add sifted flour mixture and beat until evenly mixed.
  4. Add in melted butter then set aside.
  5. Prepare a flat non-stick pan, heat it up then add a small amount of butter. Pour around 1/3 cup of the batter then distribute evenly across the pan by rolling it from side to side. Once brown on one side, flip it over to brown the other side.
  6. Place sliced bananas on one quarter of the crepe then fold in quarters. Remove from pan then place on plate.
  7. Drizzle chocolate powder and drizzle some chocolate syrup. Top it with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream then serve.

1. nors says:

WOW!! banana crepe? naalala ko tuloy yung trabaho ko dati sa cafea..best seller namin yan pati mango crepe….kelan kaya makakadating yan sa “chivalry road”…hehehe

2. Wonderful and tempting dessert Raymund, I will minus the ice-cream as the pancake with bananas is enough for me.

3. Waaah! I just had a Belgian waffle for dessert, but this would have been so much nicer and better for me (sans the sauce)! Delicious and your crepes look great!

4. I absolutely love banana’s in crepes.
    Have a happy day.
    ๐Ÿ™‚ Mandy

5. Judy says:

That looks amazing! All I need know is a spoon!

6. Awesome, last time I had banana crepe was in Thailand out of all places, it was nicer because it was cheap!

7. Tita Beng says:

Looks perfect! I tried making mango crepe before pero hindi na yun naulit. Now, nag-crave na tuloy ako. First time to hear of the crepe history. Now, alam ko na, na it’s a french creation. Learned another lesson.today. Tnx!

8. These look so delicious I have to remind myself I don’t like bananas!

9. You’ve made me homesick for beloved Bistro Praha in Edmonton, AB, where we often indulged in their amazing crepes, including a very similar banana one. Maybe I’ll have to whip this up!

This looks so good! Well done making the crepes without a crepe pan!

11. Wow.. I don’t know what else to say but wow. This banana crepe looks amazing. Yup.. I’m making this.. tomorrow if I have to

12. peasepudding says:

Yum, I love crepes, used eat pfannkuechen in Germany too when I lived there!

13. Banana Crepes aren’t my thing, but I know that everyone else says they’re great…so for them I’ll say it look good. ๐Ÿ˜‰

14. Jay says:

you really wowed me dear…awesome crepes..:P
    wow…yummmy…yummmy..!
    Tasty Appetite

I have yet to make crepes, but banana crepes sound like a good place to start. ๐Ÿ™‚

16. thammelissa says:

wow….am loving this dessert!!

17. Meri says:

Mmm I love crepes but I’ve only made them from scratch one time, at my parents cabin with my mom. I remember letting the batter sit, and worrying they wouldn’t flip without breaking. They turned out pretty great! My favorite filling is caramelized fruit like strawberries. Bananas and chocolate sounds pretty good too though!

18. I would love to have some right now… Actually the banana is going bad soon. I should use it for the crepe so kids will eat it for sure. =) Perfect timing!

19. Your crepes are perfection! And nothing in the world goes better in a crepe than bananas if you ask me. Sometimes I brulee them first. YUM!

Your crepe looks amazing. Good job on getting it made without a crepe maker. I tried once before and it was disastrous.

Plus I love that you went sweet with the bananas, chocolate and ice cream!

20 baht as street food in thailand.. around 90 pesos in Philippine malls..

22. HOLY YUM! I can’t even describe how delicious this looks. I want this now! ๐Ÿ˜€

1. December 25, 2012