I guess Ratatouille became really popular because of the animated movie by Pixar, but do you know what this dish actually is? For those who does not know it is a vegetable stew that originated in Nice, France. This is usually served as a side dish but can be consumed also as a mains, it is traditionally composed of tomatoes, garlic, onions, courgettes, aubergine, capsicums and different herbs and spices. There are some similar recipes outside of France like the “Pisto Manchego” from Spain and “Pinakbet” from the Philippines which I guess both would have been inspired from Ratatouille.
I know there will be a lot more of the similar kind of recipe out there where different vegetables are mixed in a tomato based stew, do you know some of them?
2 pcs courgettes, sliced
2 pcs eggplant, sliced
8 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 red capsicum, sliced
1 cup vegetable stock
1 large white onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 basil leaves, chopped
2 tbsp chopped oregano 1 tsp sugar
freshly ground black pepper
grated parmesan cheese
2. Add tomatoes and continue to stir until tomatoes are soft.
3. Add courgettes, eggplant and red capsicum cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add stock, oregano, basil and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add sugar and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Serve with grated parmesan cheese.