A while ago I posted beef stroganoff, a classic recipe that is loved by many but now I am craving for some stroganoff but I am not in the mood for beef, a healthier variant would be a good choice so tofu and mushrooms will be in the ingredients, I will be using coconut cream instead of a normal cream to give it more flavour which we need specially when there’s no meat involved. I know this does not taste like its beef counterpart but trust me it is as tasty and a very healthy option, I did not even noticed it does not have meat.
2 blocks firm tofu
250g button mushrooms, sliced
2 yellow capsicum, sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup vegetable stock
1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 cup coconut milk
freshly ground black pepper
- Cut tofu blocks into 3 pieces each, place in a deep fryer and fry until its golden brown. Drain, let it cool then cut into small cubes.
- In a pan add oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes
- Add capsicums and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the stock, peanut butter, coconut milk, dissolved cornstarch and tofu. Simmer for 3 minutes then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.