Spring Onion Stuffed Squid

Spring Onion Stuffed Squid

When I was in the Philippines me and my colleagues loved to eat in this Chinese restaurant called “Wok inn” in Malate, Manila and we always order this stuffed squid dish which is really good but I don’t know the name. I had been searching the internet for its recipe or what it is called but I got no luck in finding one, I have seen some images here, here and here but that’s the most I can get for this elusive dish. I wanted to make one so I will just trust my memory on how it looked and how it tasted, it was more than 10 years ago. All I remember that it is a deep fried squid that is crunchy on the outside and soft inside, it is also stuffed I guess in chives and drenched in a sweet teriyaki style sauce. For this recipe I will be using spring onions instead of chives as I think that’s more edible in bundles compared to chives, I will also make it crunchy by using a thin coat of corn flour and for the sauce it will be a mixture of teriyaki sauce and hoisin sauce.

3 pcs large squid
2 bundles of spring onions
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (instructions here)
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 tsp corn flour dissolved in 1/2 cup water
corn flour
salt
freshly ground black pepper
fried garlic
oil

1. Rub salt and pepper inside and outside the squid.
  2. Stuff enough spring onions on the cavity of each squid then close the ends with a toothpick.
  3. Dredge squid in corn flour then deep fry each squid for 3 minutes, do not overcook squid will become tough.
  4. While waiting for the squid to cook, prepare your sauce by mixing together teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce and corn flour mixture in a sauce pan, bring it to a boil and simmer until thick. You can reduce or add water content according to your liking.
  5. Once all of the squid are cooked, remove from fryer then cut several opening on the squid, remove the toothpick. Pour sauce on top and sprinkle some fried garlic.

1. What a good idea and it looks really tasty. What a great idea to combined teriyaki and hoisin sauce. I hope somebody can give you the name of this dish to satisfy your curiosity.
    πŸ™‚ Mandy

got hungry looking at this picture. ever think of opening a restaurant??

3. thammelissa says:

wow….it looks good! sure taste good too….i love teriyaki! now you made me hungry again…….

4. Cherrey says:

It does look so amazing. That’s really what I love about dining out. It widens my knowledge about food, and could pick out which among them would stay in our memory. So how did it turn out compared to that in Malate?

5. Maricel says:

I also always order that too at Wok Inn

6. this looks really tasty πŸ˜›

7. I love squid, but tend to use it on limited occasions. This just looks wonderful! Love that sauce.

8. I’m a little embarrassed to admit I’ve actually never cooked squid before but it’s never too late to fix that, especially with a delicious dish like this!

9. fiona says:

looks yummy! i luv squid. i will try it out this weekend. thanks for sharing dis recipe.

10. Nami says:

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE squid, and this dish is a perfect appetizer with me. My husband would need a beer but I’m just going to finish one of these while he’s busy drinking beer. I’m that much fan of squid. πŸ˜‰ DELICIOUS picture and recipe!

11. I have to promise myself to stop reading your blog at lunch time. What is here on your post is ALWAYS leaps and bounds better than what I am eating at the moment. How close did this dish get to your memory of the dish? It sounds and looks delicious. I have never cooked squid before but this looks like an excellent way to serve it.

12. maxivelasco says:

Oh my! This looks so yum. It’s just sad though that we rarely get squid here in Sweden. This really looks so good. I miss the Philippines!

By the way, I am now following you on NetworkedBlogs. Have a great day.

13. Meri says:

Wow I have never had squid but you make it look so pretty and fancy! I tend to love onions so maybe I’d like this!

14. I am not a squid person I must admit lol but you know I love reading your food history postings. Another great post

15. Like you, been on a lookout more for stuffed squids. thanks for sharing, let me experiment in my own ways.

16. my spatula says:

i’m such a huge squid fan and never thought of stuffing them before. brilliant!

So simple ! Looks delicious.

18. Eileen says:

We are squid lovers. I cooked your recipe today, waiting for the rest of the family to arrive so that we can have dinner and enjoy this dish. Thanks for sharing this recipe and for all the other recipes you have posted, we have tried several of them. I admire that you are able to blog everyday. Hope I would be able to that even for just a month πŸ™‚

19. Eileen says:

Hi again. Just wanted to share with you that your recipe was a hit with the family, especially the Little Girl. She was able to finish 3 whole squids by herself. Next on my list is to try your way of cooking bagnet πŸ™‚

20. ymlbarcespain says:

we love ordering that stuffed squid whenever we dine in wok inn malate. and like u, i’ve been looking for the recipe.i will try this tonight. i hope i get it right.i’ll let u know what happens.thanks 4 sharing this recipe.

• ymlbarcespain says:

i wish to share the photo of my 1st try but i dunno how. it turned out great. thanks for sharing this recipe.

21. Nancy says:

Oh my! I love that resto. My friends and I always order that plus the sipa when I attended college at UP Manila. After college, I always made it a point to go there whenever I was in town. Thanks for posting this recipe. I have been craving for this. In fact, I had it in mind when I did my grocery shopping at the Asian market. I did get the chives. I remember the waiter saying that the squid was stuffed with “kuchay”. It’s the sauce that eludes me. I hope this comes close to theirs. Also, do you know what’s in the sipa dipping sauce?

• rsmacaalay says:

OO nga yung sipa! I remember it, that was a good pair with this dish. Now I will find out how to make those as I dont have a recipe for it. Thanks for visiting my site fellow UPian.

22. Karenp says:

I was looking for this exact thing tonight! I ate at Wok Inn back in 1996 and often think of all the delicious food there. Thanks you so much for the recipe!

23. Ron says:

I was also looking for this recipe and I thought it was grilled squid, good thing you posted the recipe. Thanks we will try this one.

24. Penny says:

Its amazing! This is exactly what im looking for… I used to feast on this recipe at the same resto at Malate. Kudos!

25. Tes Harris says:

That was one of my favorite dishes too when I lived in the Philippines (I also liked wok inn’s mixed seafood). My question is, following this recipe, did the finished dish taste like the one served at wok inn?

26. FoodGeekGraze says:

i am thinking you are referring to the traditional dish called, “Rellenong Pusit”. it can be pan fried, deep fried, grilled, or baked. it can be stuffed with vegetables or vegetables + pork. sometimes the squid are coated with a dredge and sometimes they are not. the dipping sauce can also vary according to a family’s taste or be completely left up to the chef’s discretion and still considered a, “rellenong pusit”. crazy confusing, right? πŸ™‚ go for the google image search of that term and you will see what i mean about many different versions. the link below seems to wander in the direction of what the chef at your restaurant was offering up for service. maybe this information will help you narrow down your own rendition to that which you remember. thank you for sharing such a wonderful blog; i am really, really looking forward to making the longaniza and spanish-style sardines someday soon πŸ™‚ cheers ~

1. January 8, 2016