Yakisoba

Yakisoba is a stir fried noodle dish in Japan, similar to the Mee Goreng of Malaysia, Pancit Canton of Philippines and Chow Mein of China. The name Yakisoba means “fried noodles” and is a popular dish during festivals in Japan but like the other noodles it had originated in China. These noodle dishes may look similar to each other because of its origin but with years of it being localized in each country, it developed its own unique flavour that’s why this noodle dish is a bit sweet and hot compared to the others.

Like any other noodle dish it is prepared by stir frying vegetables like cabbage and carrots, bite size pieces of chicken or pork and uses soba noodles or any ramen-style noodles. It is enjoyed as a mains, side dish or even a placed in a hot dog bun similar to pancit in pandesal in Philippines.

270g soba noodles
350g chicken breast fillet, cut into small cubes
1/3 medium head cabbage, finely sliced
1 carrot, finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp chilli paste
1 tsp brown sugar
3 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp canola oil
chopped spring onions
toasted sesame seeds

1. Cook soba noodles half the time according to packet instructions, drain then set aside.
  2. In a wok add sesame oil, canola oil, garlic then saute.
  3. Add chicken and stir fry until chicken brown and cooked. Using a slotted spoon remove chicken from wok then set aside.
  4. Add cabbage and carrots then stir fry for 2 minutes, remove from wok then set it aside.
  5. Add the soba noodles, regular and dark soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar and chilli paste, stir fry for a minute.
  6. Add the vegetables and chicken back, stir fry for 1 more minute.
  7. Place on plate, sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and chopped spring onions on top then serve.

1. kiwidutch says:

This looks wonderful! I’ve never had soba noodles before but I’m assuming that the massive Asian supermarket in the centre of the Hague will stock them.
    I especially like the spicy aspect… (I’m slowly but surely getting better at handing heat and enjoying it!) yum!

Yum ! I’m off to buy soba noodles now for dinner 🙂

3. Wonderful dish Raymund and your post is making so hungry now, wish I can try some.

4. Lisa-Marie says:

This I got to try!! Looks delicious.

5. This looks amazing. And it’s the second post I’ve seen in the last two days that calls for soba noodles and makes my mouth water! Must try.

6. Judy says:

This looks amazing, can’t wait to try it! Chicken thighs make everything good 😀

7. Suzi says:

This looks so ymmy, can’t wait to try making it. Thanks!

8. Kim says:

The food here looks soooooo goood. I’m pretty full right now, but I would love to eat the things that are on your blog :S

9. Rita says:

I could eat a ton of these noodles!! I’m so hungry. 😛

10. Meri says:

I love fried noodle dishes- whats not to love about the combination of noodles and fried food haha?

11. eljanh says:

hmm, GreaT cooKInG,, so interestINg.. feels so hunGry Now.

12. Erin says:

This looks awesome! I am adding soba noodles to my grocery list! Thanks!

13. AvocadoPesto says:

Sounds delicious! I just stumbled across your blog today and just wanted to tell you that I think it;s awesome! I love that you have so many different recipes from all sorts of cuisines! I’ve found dozens of recipes already that I would love to try!

14. snixykitchen says:

This looks great – and much less prep than my traditional soba noodle recipe. I’ll have to try this next time – thanks!

15. Yum! Next time I crave Asian food, this is what I will be making.