You might start noticing a lot of Goldilocks mentioned in this blog that is because it is one of the most iconic family bakeshops and restaurants that people with the same age group as me grew up with in the Philippines, this restaurant also had popularized a lot of Filipino food items such as savoury dishes, desserts, cakes and pastries like this post “Mamon”. I remember during the 80’s when McDonalds and other Fast Food restaurants was not yet existing or popular in the Philippines this and Aristocrat was the restaurant to go to in any type of occasion. Most of us also grew up with its baked goods such as birthday cakes, roll cakes, brazo de mercedes, mamon, polvoron and many more as these were the items our moms put on our lunchboxes. This was also and mainstay brand in birthdays and occasions that have cakes as most of it can only be purchased at Goldilocks during that time, there no good competitors around. Now 30 years later Goldilocks became the standard of Filipino baked goods and delicacies it even went international that’s why when we visited L.A. 2 years ago dining in at Goldilocks Cerritos was a part of out itinerary as we don’t have it here in New Zealand. Filipino shops all over the world even import these baked goods in the country they are in, I had seen that at least in Malaysia (Kota Raya), Singapore (Lucky Plaza), Hong Kong (World Wide House) and even here in Auckland.
Mamon for those who does not know is a very soft yellow sponge cake with a moist buttery top and grated cheese toppings, it’s one of the all time favourite baked goods in the Philippines, can be consumed freshly baked or straight from the fridge. It’s a very simple baked bread which definitely everybody would love, so if you want to try this one out either find a Goldilocks branch near you or try this recipe out.
- 8 eggs (whites and yolks separated)
- 1¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¾ cups flour, sifted
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- ⅓ tsp orange extract
- ¼ tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- grated cheddar cheese
- Using and mixer beat together egg yolks, ½ cup sugar and ⅓ cup water at high speed.
- Once the yolk mixture is evenly combined add baking powder, salt, flour, melted butter, orange extract and lemon extract using low speed. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar then beat at high speed. Gradually add the remaining sugar a spoonful at a time and continue beating until stiff.
- Fold in the yolk and flour mixture into the egg white mixture.
- Place in muffin pans lined with muffin cups, pour until ¾ full. Then bake on a preheated oven at 180C for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked generously brush mamon with melted butter on top this makes the top sticky when it sets, then add grated cheese.