Pork and Beans
Pork and beans as the name suggest uses pork and beans as the main ingredients. Pork and beans is very popular as a canned food today not knowing that way back in 1800’s it was a popular dish in America but there were no tomatoes nor tomato paste on the original ingredients. The tomatoes were only introduced when the canned pork and beans became popular. The canned version was initially sold to US Army during the American Civil War which makes it portable and since then it sparked the commercial canning of pork and beans and was made popular by H.J. Heinz.
In New Zealand we don’t have the canned pork and beans instead we have the baked beans it’s the same thing sans pork, but since the pork is missing the flavour is not the same that’s why we have to cook our own, and we can add more pork, unlike the canned ones which only contains 1 pc of pork cube 🙂
- 500g white / navy beans, soaked in water overnight
- 500g diced pork belly, marinated in 2 tbsp salt overnight
- ½ cup tomato ketchup
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 can tomato puree
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Combine everything in a large pot, bring to a boil and simmer in low heat for 1 hr until beans are tender.
- Place in a casserole and bake in oven at 150C for 5 hrs adding water if necessary, Mix once in a while to prevent sticking in the bottom of the casserole.